It is estimated one third of EPGs were awarded Military Campaign Medals. Some individual examples include:
- Victoria Cross – Thomas Grady of the 4th and 99th Regiments
- Waterloo Medal 1815 – Edward Tierney 27th Regiment and New South Wales Veteran Corps
- Distinguished Conduct Medal – Thomas Grady above, George Lee, James McGuiness, Daniel Logg and Richard McCorry
Examples of the medals, breadth of service, battles fought and achievements by EPGs at war follows:
Conflicts fought in include:
- The South African Frontier Wars of 1834–36, 1846–47 and 1850–53: over sixty men received one or more medals for these campaigns in the eastern Cape of Good Hope.
- 1st Anglo Afghan War 1839 to 1842: over thirty men received medals with clasps for battles at Kandahar, Jellalabad, Ghunzi and Kabool.
- China War 1840 to 1842: over sixty men received medals for serving with distinction in battles at Canton River, Chusan, Amoy, Ningpo, Chinhai, Tzeki, Chapu, Woosung and Chinkiang.
- Crimean War 1854-1855: over two hundred men received medals.
- Indian Mutiny 1857-1858: over two hundred men received medals for service and battles in Delhi, Defence and Relief of Lucknow, Lucknow and Central India – FYI: 50 Year Anniversary – 16 November 1907 The Herald WA Indian Mutiny
- Other examples of medals issued include Baltic Medal, Gwalia Star, Bronze Stars, Defence of Kars, Legion d’Honeur, New Zealand Maori Wars, Militaire Republique France, Sutlej Medal and various Long Service & Good Conduct Medals.
- The Charge of the Light Brigade (Balaclava) – Pensioner Henry Dyson Naylor of the 13th Light Dragoons participated and his sword from the battle survives to this day.
ARTICLES OF INTEREST
- Did Your Man Earn a Campaign Medal? – EPG Gazette July 2006 by Ron Sutton
- Five Forgotten Crimean War Medals by Peter Conole – July 2014 EPG Gazette
- Dragoons or Lancers .. by Ron Sutton 2009 October EPG Gazette
- Siege of Lucknow – EPG Gazette January 2007 by Ron Sutton
- Relief of Lucknow 1857 – EPG Gazette April 2007 by Ron Sutton
- Afghan Wars: The Kyber Pass – EPG Gazette October 2007 by Ron Sutton
- The First Opium War – EPG Gazette July 2008 by Ron Sutton
- First Sikh War – Military Pensioners in WA by Peter Conole – EPG Gazette 2017 No 2
- Our First Army – Address by Colnel Collett – April 2011 EPG Gazette
- Red Feathers – the 46th Regiment – Peter Conole and Jean McDonald April 2010 EPG Gazette
- EPGs and New Zealand Wars by Jeanette Lee – EPG Gazette 2019 No 1
If you have information on medals, photographs or men’s stories and achievements let us know at the Contact Page