Of the men that served in the Enrolled Pensioner Force it is estimated one third were awarded Military Campaign Medals.
Records show that where our men received Campaign Medals, many received more than one.
The breadth of service, battles fought and achievements by men of the Enrolled Pensioner Force is briefly shown below:
Victoria Cross – Thomas Grady of the 4th and 99th Regiments
Waterloo Medal 1815 – Edward Tierney 27th Regiment and New South Wales Veteran Corps
The South African Frontier Wars of 1834–36, 1846–47 and 1850–53: over sixty men received one or more medals for these campaigns in the eastern Cape of Good Hope.
1st Anglo Afghan War 1839 to 1842: over thirty men received medals with clasps for battles at Kandahar, Jellalabad, Ghunzi and Kabool.
China War 1840 to 1842: over sixty men received medals for serving with distinction in battles at Canton River, Chusan, Amoy, Ningpo, Chinhai, Tzeki, Chapu, Woosung and Chinkiang.
Crimean War 1854-1855: over two hundred men received medals. These included:
- British Crimean Medal for battles at Alma, Balaklava, Inkerman and Sebastopol. Quite a few men received clasps for all four of these battles. An excellent website of West Australians who served in the Crimean War including Enrolled Pensioners can be found here.
- Turkish Crimean War Medal issued by the Sultan Abdülmecid I of the Ottoman Empire
Indian Mutiny 1857-1858: over two hundred men received medals for service and battles in Delhi, Defence and Relief of Lucknow, Lucknow and Central India – FYI: 50 Year Anniversary – 16 November 1907 The Herald WA Indian Mutiny
Other examples of medals issued include Baltic Medal, Gwalia Star, Bronze Stars, Defence of Kars, Legion d’Honeur, New Zealand Maori Wars, Militaire Republique France, Sutlej Medal and various Long Service & Good Conduct Medals.
The Charge of the Light Brigade (Balaclava) – Pensioner Henry Dyson Naylor of the 13th Light Dragoons participated and his sword from the battle survives to this day,
The identification of Campaign Medals received by our men and the battles they fought is a work in progress.
ARTICLES OF INTEREST
- Did Your Man Earn a Campaign Medal? – EPG Gazette July 2006 by Ron Sutton
- Five Forgotten Crimean War Medals by Peter Conole – July 2014 EPG Gazette
- Dragoons or Lancers .. by Ron Sutton 2009 October EPG Gazette
- Siege of Lucknow – EPG Gazette January 2007 by Ron Sutton
- Relief of Lucknow 1857 – EPG Gazette April 2007 by Ron Sutton
- Afghan Wars: The Kyber Pass – EPG Gazette October 2007 by Ron Sutton
- The First Opium War – EPG Gazette July 2008 by Ron Sutton
- First Sikh War – Military Pensioners in WA by Peter Conole – EPG Gazette 2017 No 2
- Our First Army – Address by Colnel Collett – April 2011 EPG Gazette
- Red Feathers – the 46th Regiment – Peter Conole and Jean McDonald April 2010 EPG Gazette
- EPGs and New Zealand Wars by Jeanette Lee – EPG Gazette 2019 No 1
If you have information on medals, photographs or men’s stories and achievements let us know at the Contact Page